Skip to main content

FLORENCE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY of FLORENCE, WI

Home  EVENTS  History  About the Museum  Items for Sale  Membership  Contact Us  LINKS   
Florence County > Historical Buildings >  

Buildings on the National Register of Historical Places

 

 

FLORENCE COUNTY COURTHOUSE

 

  • Listed on the National Register of Historical Places 1985
  • Built in 1889;  south addition in 1994 for handicap accessibility & offices
  • Has housed the governmental offices of Florence County since construction
  • Located at 501 Lake Avenue, Florence
  • Cost of construction of courthouse and jail, $21,000

 

 

Former Florence County Jail

 

  • Listed on the National Register of Historical Places 1985
  • One of two original jails in Wisconsin retaining the original interior
  • Last used in the 1930’s
  • Preservation of exterior in 2002 by Florence County and Jeffris Foundation
  • Located on the Courthouse Square
  • Open to the Public May-September during Courthouse hours

 

Fern Town Hall

 

  • Listed on the National Register of Historical Places 1981
  • Originally served as school from 1921-1956
  • Now serves as a town hall for the Town of Fern
  • Located on US 101 in Fern Township
  • Cost of construction of school, $3,000
  • Addition for handicap accessibility 2009

 

 

UpperTwin FallsBridge

 

 

 

  • Listed in National Register of Historic Places 2012
  • Spans channel of Menominee River on WI-MI border
  • Steel camelback-through truss structure built 1910-11
  • Built by Central States Bridge Co. of Indiana
  • Bridge length is 145 feet plus causeways